LLG Blog

Friday, April 24, 2020



If you’re the parent of a newborn or toddler, you’re probably already thinking about naming a guardian for your child. This can be a difficult decision, especially if you have a plethora of choices or no one you can really trust. Or perhaps you plan on petitioning the court for guardianship of a child. In either event, you must adhere to the legal principles under state and local law. 

Questions & answers

The following are answers to several common questions about guardianship:

Q. How do I choose the guardian for my child?

A. In the majority of cases involving a parenting couple, you designate the guardian in a legally valid will. This means that the guardian will raise your children if you should die unexpectedly. A similar provision may address incapacitation issues.

Choose the best person for the job and designate an alternate if that person can’t fulfill the duties. Frequently, parents will name a married couple who are relatives or close friends. If you take this approach, ensure that both spouses have legal authority to act on the child’s behalf.

Also, select someone who has the necessary time and resources for this immense responsibility. Although it’s usually not recommended, you can have different guardians for different children.

Finally, consider the living arrangements and the geographic area where your child would reside if the guardian assumes the legal responsibilities. Do you really want to uproot your child and send him or her to live somewhere far away from familiar surroundings? Don’t ignore these factors.   

Q. Do I have to justify my decision?

A. No. However, it can’t hurt—and it could help—to prepare a letter of explanation for the benefit of any judge presiding over a guardianship matter for your family. The letter can provide insights into your choice of guardian.

Notably, the judge will apply a standard based on the “best interests” of the child, so you should explain why the guardian you’ve named is the optimal choice. Focus on aspects such as the child’s preferences, who can best meet the child’s needs, the moral and ethical character of the potential guardian and the relationship to the child.

Q. How do I establish guardianship of a child who isn’t mine?

A. This situation is more tenuous. Essentially, you must file a petition with the family court, preferably with assistance from your attorney, requesting the right of guardianship. In addition, you should obtain a letter of consent from the child’s parents, if possible, and file it with the court.

Subsequently, the court will schedule interviews with all the relevant parties, including those who have a vested interest in the proceedings. This might also involve home visits to inspect the premises and criminal background checks of the proposed guardian. Then the court will make its decision

Q. How does the court determine guardianship of the child?

A. As previously stated, the court will use the standard of the best interests of the child. If the court agrees that the child’s best interests is for you to become guardian — considering all the facts and circumstances — it will approve the arrangement. Most states require guardians to sign an oath before they can assume responsibilities.

In addition, the court will generally require documentation of the guardianship. Your attorney can assist you in providing the proper documentation.

Q. What happens if the child’s parents object?

A. This is where things can get tricky. If you don’t obtain consent, guardianship is usually granted only in cases where a child has been abandoned or the judge decides that the child should be removed from the parents’ custody. Frequently, you’ll have to prove in court that the parents are unfit.

Furthermore, other relatives, such as grandparents, have certain legal rights and must be notified about guardianship hearings. Although you need formal consent from all parties, any objections they raise could adversely affect your case — not to mention the tension it will likely create. If emotions spill over, consult your attorney immediately.

A major decision

Whether you’re naming a guardian for a child in your will or attempting to become a legal guardian yourself, the implications are enormous. Don’t take these matters lightly. Fortunately, your estate planning advisor can provide the guidance needed under the prevailing laws.

Archived Posts


Littorno Law Group assists clients throughout Contra Costa County from our offices in Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill and Rancho Bernardo, California, including Antioch, Brentwood, Clayton, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Martinez, Danville, San Ramon, Pleasanton, Livermore, Fremont, Oakland, Piedmont, San Diego, Escondido, San Marcos, Vista, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Fallbrook, Bonsall, Encinitas, La Jolla, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Del Mar, and the surrounding areas and suburbs.

© 2023 Littorno Law Group | Disclaimer
PITTSBURG OFFICE/MAILING: 2211 Railroad Ave, Pittsburg, CA 94565
| Phone: 800.689.4211 | 925.432.4211
PLEASANT HILL OFFICE: 3478 Buskirk Avenue, #1000, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
| Phone: 800.689.4211 | 925.937.4211
RANCHO BERNARDO OFFICE: 16935 West Bernardo Drive, Rancho Bernardo Courtyard, #100 East Lobby, San Diego, CA 92127
| Phone: 800.689.4211 | 760.525.3140

Estate Planning with Revocable Living Trusts | Probate Estate Administration | Elder Law and Medi-Cal Planning | Veteran's Benefits | Prepaid Legal Plans | Advanced Estate Planning | Planning for Children | Estate Litigation | IRA Beneficiary Trusts | Littorno Law Trust Maintenance Program | Estate Tax Planning | Pet Trusts | Estate Planning/Non-Traditional Families | | Staff | Library

FacebookLinked-In Company


Make a Payment